Thursday, May 20, 2010

Eyjafjallajökull's Financial Impact in the UK

I was contacted this week by the U.K.-based company Know Your Money. Although Know Your Money is a price comparison website offering help, guidance, and the latest news on a range of financial products, they contacted me as a resource who has extensively covered the Eyjafjallajökull ash cloud, suggesting that their infographic in terms of economic facts and figures, and just how the ash cloud is affecting the U.K., would be appreciated by The Northeast Quadrant readership.

After reviewing their piece, I concur! This information is pretty incredible in terms of disruption to air travel and its effects on the British economy – we're talking over £2 billion lost by the aviation industry alone. Click on the graphic above to view the information in greater detail.

Meanwhile, I too am realizing the effect the ash cloud is having on European aviation. I leave tomorrow morning for my company's Annual Meeting in Boston and although we have thousands registered to attend, and with a great majority of them traveling across the Atlantic, there have been some cancellations and concerns have been expressed for whether they will make it to the U.S. and back. Naturally, their inability to travel would cost my company money.